Our client is an African leader in the geo-spatial market research, data and advisory industries that specialises within the retail, property, and investment sectors. Their services cover all of Sub-Saharan Africa, where they assist established networks and start-up entrepreneurs with optimization and growth strategies both in the public and private sector. Their services in a nutshell include feasibility studies, demographic studies, site evaluations, optimisation strategies and possible turnover estimates. They provide a unique service of data collection and analysis to help tenants, landlords and investors to understand market potential.
A Head of GIS Digital is required to join their Johannesburg based team where you will take a seat on Exco. Here you will be expected to drive forward its team/division/department by managing the development of the digital product roadmap based on the adopted strategies and vision of the larger business. These include software tools, dashboards, apps, or any product developed with a geo-spatial customer-centric foundation and used electronically.
The ideal candidate will provide dedicated subject matter expertise to his team but also collaborate and support the broader Insights and Advisory division within the organization. He/she will possess both an analytic, technical, and consultative background that enables them to drive engagement with c-suite executives and divisional leadership within the company’s core target market.
In summary, this is a strategic business development role with a strong product development focus. The ability to generate insights and partner with the rest of the business to ultimately drive value from geo-spatial data and domain expertise is vital to the success of this role. The Head of Digital should lead the process from product ideation, conceptualization, development, commercialization, and client management. Therefore, the ability to conceptualize solutions and articulate them with senior management of prospects to develop business opportunities and sales will be vital.This person must be a proficient communicator who can manage diverse teams with different backgrounds (internal &/or outsourced) to achieve strategic objectives and revenue targets.
- Develop a product portfolio with annual sales targets.
- Maintain digital product portfolio’s profitability.
- Maintain product relevance by staying on point with market trends and shifts.
- Drive and increase annuity revenue.
- Participate and execute the division’s strategy to grow in new geographies and verticals/industries.
- Effective account and client management.
- Managing of 3rd part data service providers.
- Familiar with and have experience with a design thinking product development approach.
- Experience with enterprise level contracts and agreements.
- Identify market shifts/trends/gaps and take advantage of these opportunities.
- Leading the development of scalable customer centric solutions and products.
- Participate in key cross functional projects that cut across the business.
- Manage diverse teams (internal &/or outsourced) to deliver solutions.
- Understand the impact and extent of the Protection of Personal Information Act (Popia).
- Managing technical professionals.
- Budgeting and target setting.
- Reporting to the CEO.
- May be required to travel to various parts of Africa but infrequently.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, GIS or a Related technical Field is required.
- Masters / MBA will be an advantage.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a similar strategic, consulting, product development or sales role with a proven track record.
- Statistics, Geo Information Science experience will be highly beneficial.
- Experience and understanding of working with geo-spatial data layers and 3rd party customer data.
- Experience in Data as a Service (DAAS) productization
- Experience with the integration of multiple datasets/sources into one platform/solution
- Experience with mapping software
- Strong track record of successfully monetizing digital products.
- Experience and strong knowledge of BI products and data integration solutions.
- Experience with Data science or BI platforms, R or Python skills in data science, ESRI ArcGIS, Opensource
- Experience in creating dashboard outputs.
- High proficiency with Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- A valid driver’s license and own mode of transport.
- Areas of knowledge and understanding: AI, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Spatial Analysis, Data Analytics, predictive analytics, IoT/sensors, Big Data, Dashboarding, Data Integration, Automation, product development & sales.
- Strong problem solving and innovation capabilities.
- Strong project management skills are essential.
- Strong leadership characteristics
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Team player that leads by example.