Job SummaryMacdonald and Company is proudly partnered with a leading institutional investor and fund manager, that has a track record across the Western US.
The firm are a very active, high-growth investor, owner, and operator of industrial real estate assets. They are headquartered in the Newport Beach/Irvine region, and have multiple satellite offices across key regions.
Due to an increase in acquisition volume and activity within their new Joint Venture division, the firm now seeks a talented real estate professional to join them in a newly created position as Director of Joint Ventures.
The Director of Joint Ventures will develop strategies to bring in new business with new and existing JV partners, and will play the lead role and primary point of contact with all JV investors to qualify, structure, and negotiate the terms of investment transactions.
This individual will negotiate and structure equity deals, collaborate with Acquisitions/Dispositions, Capital Markets, Portfolio Management, Finance, and outside counsel. They will coordinate and collaborate on initiatives to develop best practices and to ensure consistency related to investor negotiations, deal terms, agreements, document interpretation and other JV investment practices.
Due to the nature of this role being newly created, the person sought by the firm will have the opportunity to help craft and mold their own role within the company, alongside the firm's executive leadership team.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of the company’s pipeline, existing assets, strategy, underwriting criteria, processes, and systems.
- Identify opportunities that may align with capital sources and present effectively to senior leadership.
- Be the lead relationship manager with all JV business partners, with primary responsibility for ongoing client service delivery.
- Play the lead role and be the primary point of contact with JV investors to qualify, structure and negotiate the terms of a potential investment.
- Develop and execute the equity strategy for joint ventures; take the lead in formulating and implementing the business growth plan, including working with the capital raising team to identify potential funding sources, and structuring equity deals to support the firm' acquisitions.
- Negotiate and structure JV deals, collaborate with internal stakeholders, legal teams, and external partners to negotiate favorable equity investment terms and structures.
- Prepare, review and/or negotiate contracts, agreements and other legal documentation required for investment and operations activities including term sheets, offering documents, limited partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, subscription agreements, side letters, investment management agreements, financing agreements and property-level service agreements.
- Provide advice and guidance on transactional activities related to proposed JV investment management vehicle formations.
- Identify and build relationships with investors; proactively source and cultivate relationships with potential equity partners to expand the firm's investor network and secure capital commitments.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to understand and negotiate real estate private equity venture and operating agreements, including fees, promotes, and partnership covenants, at both the GP and LP levels.
- Experience managing and participating in multiple investment functions, including financial underwriting, partnership structuring and debt and equity negotiations.
- Strong familiarity with capital markets and the ability to negotiate investment/financing terms that are favorable for the investment entities.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to efficiently and accurately manage (and/or effectively delegate) multiple projects and responsibilities.
- A deep commitment to honest, ethical conduct in all of your dealings and an ability to adhere to the company’s core values.
- Proven track record of at least 4-10 years in equity capital markets, investment banking, private equity, or a similar role within the commercial real estate sector.
- Exceptional negotiation, presentation, and communication skills.
- Deep understanding of equity financing, capital markets, and investment structures within the real estate industry.
- Excellent financial modeling, valuation, and analytical skills.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, real estate, business administration, or a related field.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.