Job SummaryMacdonald & Co, have partnered with a privately held, family-owned business in Rockingham and Pinehurst, NC, to appoint a Senior Accountant. Specializing in commercial real estate development, investment, and management; our client has produced a diverse portfolio consisting of retail shopping centers, single tenant assets, office buildings, medical clinics, restaurants, solar farms, golf course resorts, and multifamily projects. They currently hold over $200 million in assets within its portfolio and has developed over 10 million square feet of commercial and residential space. The firm has primarily internal equity funding for its projects and holdings in 21 states, it is predominantly focused on Southeast markets.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for daily data input of all operational accounting functions and processes across the portfolio of commercial retail real estate holdings. These holdings include approximately 40 companies owning 125 properties and serving over 200 leasing tenants.
Our client is seeking a professional that has experience in real estate and tax accounting and is ready to help assist a small team of accounting and administrative staff members. The position will report directly to the Director of Finance and is available immediately.
Business Accounting: Primarily responsible for daily transactions and assisting with the efficient and accurate processing of all accounting related functions across the operating companies and portfolio of entities, properties, and leases.
- Support the Financial Services accounting team.
- Work closely with Director of Finance and CFO to establish quarterly goals.
- Prepare initial financials needed for lender and tax compliance.
- Oversee cash flow management and reporting.
- Assist Director of Finance in the annual budgeting process.
- Understand variances from the budget and report significant issues to Director of Finance.
- Monitor the system of controls over accounting processes and transactions to enhance accuracy, performance, and efficiency.
- Oversee and perform the daily data entry task for financial accounting processes including cash management, accounts payable, account reconciliations, purchase orders, invoice data entry and processing, etc., including processes and procedures to:
- Ensure that accounts payable are approved and paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable.
- Ensure that monthly bank recs are timely completed.
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
- Prepare and post any necessary journal entries which are material in a timely manner.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Participate in all financing activities and property transactions, working with the Team to process and prepare documentation as needed.
- Coordination of loan closing processes. Work with Director of Finance to ensure all required documentation has been collected and filed.
- Assist Director of Finance in management of annual lender asset reviews including providing required documents, financial statements, and other asset reports.
- Participate in property transaction closings, review closing statements and documents and ensure closing files are complete.
- Prepare annual financials for review.
- Assist Director of Finance in managing deadlines for all entities.
- This candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in accounting, a minimum of 2 years of professional accounting experience, and knowledge of tax, accrual, and GAAP accounting methods.
- Strong preference for candidates that hold Certificate in Public Accounting (CPA) license.
- Experience in commercial real estate industry, specifically retail or office is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft suite including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must exercise honesty and respect with company employees, clients, vendors and tenants.
- Demonstrate the ability to make sound decisions and exercise initiative to take responsibility of engaging in tasks and completing in an efficient and quality manner.
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment and coordinate with various levels of staff and outside vendors and client representatives.