Job SummaryMacdonald and Company are partnered with a national, fully integrated development company based in Chicago with in-house expertise in design, financing, development, construction, marketing and sales.
The role of the Estimator is to prepare estimates from conceptual through GMP/contract phase. This position provides complete construction estimates by identifying project scope, soliciting/collecting cost information from trade partners, analyzing information, and summarizing costs. Estimator utilizes quantity take-off & unit costs to assemble and/or supplement estimates. This position is responsible for identifying & preparing scopes of work to establish complete subcontractor cost. Estimator evaluates project cost estimate to determine cost variation from previous estimate iterations and cost inefficiencies, proposes alternate solutions, and provides cost comparisons for evaluation.
- Identifies scope and prepares cost estimate for construction projects.
- Performs detailed quantity take-off.
- Applies unit cost to quantity take-off to assemble estimate.
- Prepares trade scope of work, solicits subcontractor bids, and conducts scope review to identify complete subcontractor cost.
- Works with project management team to identify construction schedule & logistics. Incorporates information into construction estimate.
- Summarizes all project cost in spreadsheet to provide complete estimate.
- Reviews all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Defines clarifications and exclusions for an estimate.
- Provides cost comparison to previous estimate iterations and identifies cost variation including cause
- Identifies value engineering to provide construction cost savings.
- Produces required documentation to present and support construction estimate.
- Bids and awards early design-build contractors or other contracts necessary to complete design and permit process, as required.
- Participates in project turnover meetings with project management team to review construction estimate & unique requirements.
- Provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc., as required.
- Gathers details and assists Director of Preconstruction in maintaining current market data, including unit costs & material cost trends, to accurately estimate construction costs
- Identify project scope including ability to conceptualize scope when complete details are not available.
- Accurate quantity take-off. Proficient use of quantity take-off software. Experience with OnScreen Take-Off preferred.
- Establish accurate unit costs and assign unit costs to quantity take-off.
- Assemble trade scope of work and compare subcontractor bids.
- Organize all costs to provide complete estimate.
- Understanding of expected/anticipated construction costs.
- 4-year degree in Construction Management or Architectural Studies.
- 3-5 years construction estimating experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in industry.
- Ground-up, building construction experience required.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with bid solicitation software/services such as Building Connected.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills including effective use of telephone, e-mail, and other electronic communication tools.
- Strong organizational skills.