Macdonald and Company are partnered with a large investment and development firm who are expanding into the Texas market, they already have a backlog of luxury multifamily work worth $500MM+. They are looking to bring in a Senior Construction Manager to head up all Texas construction efforts on behalf of the developer. The role will ideally be based in Dallas and representing the client with partners and consultants, this role will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the scheduling, budgeting, implementation of construction and reporting activities for all their projects to ensure completion on schedule and within budget. The position of the Senior Construciton Manager will support the Senior Vice President of Construction but will also be responsible for advising the development team on all construction related activities and responsible for all internal and external construction related reporting. The position develops and enforces policies and procedures, mentors subordinate as well as cultivates and maintain productive relationships with Clients, Architects, Engineers, and Subcontractors in Pre-Construction, Development and Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage the efforts of all hired 3rd party General Contractors.
- Manage all aspects of client reporting of project costs, schedule compliance and quality control using various types of reporting systems.
- Participate in and take a leadership role in all aspects of the development, preconstruction and construction phases of projects.
- Direct value engineering efforts to achieve efficiencies in construction costing.
- Oversee the construction process, including the review of pay applications, managing the delivery / punch process, and assisting in negotiating change .
- Ensure the various construction operations secure and maintain all required and necessary licensing, permits, and insurance.
- Provide leadership, direction and guidance in construction procedures, building codes, estimating, budgeting, scheduling, and safety practices. Partner with internal teams to develop complete bid packages including qualification materials, project estimates, bid schedules and proposals.
- Collaborate and serve as liaison with local and state government officials as required.
- Advise development team and on-site project managers during every phase of a project including conceptualization, preliminary design, financing, construction project management, operations and asset management.
- Work with the project staff involved to develop organizational relationships that clarify their project specific responsibilities and that provide effective project management.
- Provide project details and technical support in packaging projects for potential lenders and joint venture partners.
- Work with contractors, quantity surveyors and architects to establish preliminary pro-forma development cost used in evaluating the project to verify project feasibility. Ensure the pro-forma is updated and refined as the project progresses and make recommendations and modifications where appropriate.
- Produce project financial reporting methods, work with project managers and project accounting staff, to ensure that budgets, commitments, and expenditures are tracked up to date and that correct reports are communicated
- As problems are recognized with budgets or schedules, assist project managers in identifying and implementing corrective action.
- Effectively schedule construction efforts including estimating pre-con and project milestones and duration; identify long lead items and any other project needs
- Coordinate with the asset management team to ensure a smooth transition to operations, including the management of the warranty process through delivery and stabilization, and helping with dispositions by providing construction documentation.
EDUCATION, REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in the architecture, construction & related engineering fields (or equivalent) is desirable; Master’s Degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10+years of residential and mixed-use construction project management
- Collaborative, strategic thinker with broad mixed-use development experience in urban settings.
- This person will have successfully executed complex multifamily projects including high-rise product.
- Knowledge of the project approval and permitting process.
- Exceptional planning and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Strong design orientation with the ability to maintain design intent throughout the development process to the finished project.
- Obvious presence and confidence, able to interact with their senior management team as well as current and potential clients.
- The ability to work independently with minimal direction and oversight.
- Positive leader and team player with the ability to foster good working relationships at every level of an organization, both internally and externally.