Accelerating Careers in Real Estate | Episode 88
This evening, I am joined by Emma Cariaga, from British Land she jointly leads the development of Canada Water, a 53 acre development project in Central London. And has been a member of the Executive Committee since 2019. Previously working for LandSec, Crest Nicholson and Barratt
You can join in the discussion using our LinkedIn group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/9054319/
Please keep your questions and voicenotes coming. It is best to contact me on LinkedIn
Emma Cariaga’s journey in the real estate and property development industry is indeed impressive. She highlights several key points and lessons that can be valuable for anyone looking to enhance their self-awareness and succeed in their career:
- Set Goals and Hold Yourself Accountable: Regularly reflecting on your goals and writing them down can be an effective way to hold yourself accountable. Even if nobody else sees your goals, it can help you track your progress and stay focused on your objectives.
- Embrace Challenges: Emma mentions that she loves a challenge, and she acknowledges the importance of facing and overcoming them. Challenging situations often present opportunities for growth and development.
- Continuous Learning: Emma’s ability to adapt and succeed in various roles within the industry demonstrates the importance of continuous learning. Being open to new experiences and learning from them is crucial for personal and professional growth.
- Build a Diverse Team: Emma emphasizes the significance of having a diverse team. Different perspectives and viewpoints can lead to more creative problem-solving and a well-rounded approach to projects.
- Communication Skills: Emma’s identified superpower is her communication skills. Effective communication is essential in any role, as it allows you to convey your ideas, build relationships, and lead teams effectively.
- Be Explicit in Your Expectations: When working with others, it’s crucial to communicate your expectations clearly. Don’t assume that people will understand your intentions without explicit communication.
- Find Complementary Collaborators: Recognize your strengths and weaknesses, and seek out collaborators who complement your skill set. Working with others who have skills or knowledge that you lack can lead to more well-rounded and successful outcomes.
- Maintain Momentum: Particularly in large-scale projects, it’s essential to maintain momentum and not lose sight of the project’s goals. Avoid lengthy delays that can diminish a project’s impact.
- Stay Open-Minded: As circumstances and the world evolve, it’s important to stay open-minded and adapt your approach to changing conditions. Be willing to reconsider and adjust your strategies when necessary.
Emma Cariaga’s insights can serve as inspiration and guidance for individuals seeking to progress in their careers and navigate complex, long-term projects in the real estate and development sector. Whether you’re an aspiring professional or already working in the field, these lessons can help you thrive in your chosen career path.